June 15, 2013

Feeling a bit overwhelmed?

Sunday, 18th of September 2011, was the culmination of all that I had seen and heard these last few days. Thankfully, I took notes throughout the day and would journal my thoughts every night. If I  had to keep everything in my head, I would've exploded. My head hurt most nights from overload. Writing had become very therapeutic.
That night I couldn't sleep. So many things running through my brain made it impossible to close my eyes. I even went for one of my patented walks to clear my brain. Nothing worked. Although, I did manage to rest a few hours before we had to rise early the next..er same day. I'm not sure what God was weaving into the fabric of my future, but my present was certainly disturbed.
We woke the next day and had to be at the station around 6am to leave from Heathrow Airport around 8am. Our return trip home was around 9 hours, and I was so looking forward to sleep by then.
We arrived back in Kansas City around 10am (weird huh?) and we were on our way back home.
My two friends and I rode back in a sense of reflection. Conversations turned to what next. I remember telling my pastor, "I'm going back! With or without the support of the church!" This took him by surprise I'm sure. I wasn't trying to discard the value of church partnership, but sometimes when you wait on people who hadn't been where you've been, it could be like attending a meeting of the Ents from Lord of the Rings.
I felt so compelled with a sense of urgency, that delay of any type would fizzle whatever God impressed on our hearts. I'm sure being zealous in my personality had a bit of play also.
So, why London? I wont bore you with drab statistics or poll results, but I will tell you why it is important to me.
London is one of the few mega cities, 8.2 million people, where all of the world lives and works together. Over 1.7 million people, claiming English to not be their primary language, cram the streets and transport everyday. My good friend always says, "A whisper in London, is a shout in the world." I believe this capital city is being purposed by God to spread the Gospel farther and deeper than any missionary has been. The phrase has been coined by Greater Europe Mission (www.gemission.org) as "Every nation, one location"
Imagine if one person from the remote parts of Africa were working or attending school in London, and we developed a friendship. We have now earned the right to speak about Christ's salvation, because we started by showing God's love. Now, take that relationship and imagine what happens when that individual returns to their village. I can't contain excitement for what God has done for me, do you think they will be able to either?
The Gospel message is best received by the indigenous reaching the indigenous. So what do they need from us?
People of London and the UK for that matter have come from or even seen terrible things happen right in their proximity. Take Nazi Germany for example, or the Tsunami in southern India, or even the genocide of villagers by warlords in the jungles of Africa; many people are left asking more questions of why than they have answers. This naturally breeds pessimism and distrust. You cant stand on the corner handing out Gospel tracts or hold special tent revivals, because people more and more don't even believe there is a God. Atheism has taken over in Europe and has worked its way into London because of the massive immigrant population from Muslim, Hindu, and other tribal backgrounds.
My American view of England was more like the cover of a Sex Pistols album than what was actually a reality. The trouble is, they don't have any needs like a third world country does. Our American cavalry mindset is no use to these people. As a matter of fact, they perceive us to be "comfortable consumers" or fat and lazy. What could we possibly bring they don't have or don't want?
Love....What a concept? It's been said that a Brit would never travel 4,000 miles just to hear the story of someone else. They aren't even confident the church is relevant.
We, as Americans, have a "Can-do" spirit and are visionary people. I believe that's where we have cornered the market in the world. However, we have been so closed off and provincial in our thinking, the world has taken notice. Our pride in the "American way" tends to overshadow God's global vision for making disciples, and quite frankly our attitude has made the Gospel unattractive.
So what can you do? First, pray for His eyes to see and His ears to hear. Pray for His will to be done in your life. Pray for wisdom and discernment over the things revealed. Next, buy a ticket somewhere other than North America, somewhere that will take you out of your comfort, and be displaced with a total dependency on Him. Last, be willing to do whatever He asks, no matter the cost to you personally.  (Mark 10:17-27)
Hang on to Him, because it will be the ride of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment