January 14, 2014

Have you seen this place?

It was in the year King Uzziah died that I saw the Lord. He was sitting on a lofty throne, and the train of his robe filled the Temple. Attending him were mighty seraphim, each having six wings. With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. They were calling out to each other,
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of Heaven’s Armies!
    The whole earth is filled with his glory!”
Their voices shook the Temple to its foundations, and the entire building was filled with smoke.
Then I said, “It’s all over! I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips. Yet I have seen the King, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.”
Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a burning coal he had taken from the altar with a pair of tongs.He touched my lips with it and said, “See, this coal has touched your lips. Now your guilt is removed, and your sins are forgiven.”
Isaiah 6:1-7

Last Sunday, I was feeling pretty tired from the night before, and I was really not in the mood to be at church. My pillow sounded better, but I had committed to be a part of leading worship that morning.
After rehearsal that morning, I just couldn't get motivated, and the coffee wasn't helping either. I felt myself actually a bit irritable.
A few years ago, I remember hearing Francis Chan speak about a multi-day conference he was asked to speak at. By the third day, he noticed one of the worship leaders had a consistent fire about how she worshiped. He had to know her secret, so he asked. She told him her prayer was for God to not just give her a repeat of a great worship experience, but that He would give her something she had never felt before. He was reminded how many times we've experienced God and we are content to reflect and dwell rather than seek a fresh wind or fresh fire.
Well, that was me. Let me tell you, that wasn't going to cut it. So I drifted off to some room behind the sanctuary and spent some time praying. I asked God for a new experience, something I had never had, because today was going to need it.
If you've never been given the opportunity to lead a congregation of people in song, it can be quite challenging. Not only are you dealing with your own self-pride and humility, but you are dealing with the importance of not being transparent. People are moved by authenticity and if you feel like death warmed over, that produces an issue.
After praying, I could feel my energy beginning to gain momentum, or a great caffeine buzz. We sang a couple of songs, and then we began one of the most overplayed pieces that just produces a going-through-the-motions style of worship, "Revelation Song."
The basis of the entire song is found in Isaiah 6 or Revelation 4, and it speaks of being in the throne room of God. There is a part of the song that just hit me like never before:
"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty
Who was and is and is to come
With all creation I sing praise to the King of kings
You are my everything and I will adore You"
When I got to the part of "...You are my everything and I will adore You," I lost it. When I say lost it, I mean broken. I was crying so much I could even sing. It came out of nowhere, and all I could do was beg for forgiveness and just weep. Why?
I came home that afternoon reflecting on what had just happened, still a bit stunned I tried to tell my wife, and started crying again. What is my problem...geesh?!
The next day God brought Isaiah 6 to my mind and I reflected on the part where Isaiah said,
It’s all over! I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips. Yet I have seen the King, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.”
So, I suppose the new experience God wanted for me that morning, was found in His throne room.

What an awesome experience! 


No comments:

Post a Comment