February 17, 2014

Field of Dreams: Redemption's Story

Many times we hear a whisper from God, and we take action without any further instruction. We stand back and marvel at our accomplishments. All we want is for God, family, or anyone to be proud of what we did. It's then that God whispers the reason why He asked us in the first place. "Ease his pain"
My friend Andy Flannagan is an accomplished musician, medical doctor, and politician; but his real passion is redemption. I love the way he talks about what God wants when He whispers to us. Here is an excerpt from and interview he gave:
"This is a story that was the highlight of my childhood. It was a Saturday afternoon when my dad would come into the house and say, "Andrew its time for you to help me wash the car." And I would swell with pride because my dad needed MY help to wash the car. It was really a gorgeous memory until I heard a guy on a Sunday morning talking about how he'd been washing the car with his son the previous day. He said, "You know what? It was a nightmare, cause he got a stone in the sponge and he scraped the paintwork and he kicked the bucket over."......I was left thinking....Well, I was only six or seven at the time. You know I could hardly reach the bumper. Why did my dad ask for my help? I'm sure I made the process take a whole lot longer. It was only then that I realized that my dad simply wanted me to be there, because he was there. He wanted me to be getting up to what he was getting up to. He wanted me to be getting to know him and for him to get to know me in the context of a shared task. And certainly I believe, right across this world, our Heavenly Father is healing the sick, bringing sight to the blind, releasing the oppressed; and simply calls us to be getting up to what He is getting up to. Getting to know Him in the context of a shared task."
So what God wants from us, is not for our benefit, but for the world He longs to see redeemed.
"Ease His pain."
What pain? Whose pain?.....I believe God calls each of His followers to embark on a journey that causes us to be a poured out as an offering for a lost and dying world. I think Andy is spot on when he says, God will do this through a shared task, so that we may know Him better.

Below are the steps our character Ray takes when he hears the whisper, "Ease his pain." I can relate 100% to every emotion, feeling, and question Ray must have had. As I look back, I wouldn't have it any other way.

  • Begins to put in the work
  • Explains the decision over and over
  • Arrives at a place of satisfaction that the work is done
  • Marvels at the crazy decisions made, but still feels completely nuts
  • Waits impatiently for something, just something to happen
  • Time goes on and doubt creeps in
  • He feels more alone now than before he started.
  • His decision seems to have sunk the family
  • To go back seems impossible, but to move forward seems deadly
  • Then it happens....the decision is confirmed by a glimpse of whats to come.
  • Supernatural takes over from understanding
  • He enters into an undeserved privilege
  • When we take one step toward God, He takes one step toward us.
  • Things happen that cause him to have butterflies as if he is in a dream.
  • If it hadn't happened to him, he would've never believed.
  • He's done it, he's accomplished what the voice asked him to do.
  • Up until now the family hasn't understood everything, but when the supernatural happens, their life begins to radically change.
  • He's still not convinced as to why he decided to this, but he knows he doesn't want to experience anything else.
  • They funny thing is, his extended family doesn't get it either. Out of their compassion and love for their child, they begin to condemn and question every decision he makes. They're scared, nothing else.
  • Something funny happens, his extended family and friends can't see what he and his immediate family see. He begins to REALLY feel insane, but then sadness for his extended family and friends takes over.
  • Then he gets another message from the whisper. "Ease his pain"
  • What pain?...Whose pain?
  • This becomes really frustrating.
  • In the most unlikely of places, someone comes to his mind.
  • After doing some research about what pain they may have, his fire reignites to bring this person relief.
  • What also occurs while he is trying to discern what in the heck is going on, his spouse jumps on board by becoming his greatest defender.
  • As he feels confident about what he is to do next, his spouse throws on the brakes and tries to speak reason.
  • He can't explain why he has to do it, but everything in him tells him to.
  • Then something supernatural happens which removes all doubt for the both of them.
  • It's almost as if God is trying to prove Himself as trustworthy.
  • He goes through with it, and when he arrives, his arrival is not met with a welcome. The only thing that keeps him pushing forward is his desperation to see his choices be proved trustworthy.
  • He might even take drastic measures just to force wide what seems to be cracked open.
  • When he finally gets through, he isn't even sure why he's doing it, but he is certain to walk forward so more light will be shone on his path.
Then it happens...the whisper says, "Go the distance."



No comments:

Post a Comment