October 1, 2013

I refuse to do something just cause!!

Often, I find people who do things because "that's just the way we do things", but they can't really explain why they do them. I am from a generation who has been over marketed to by commercials and magazines. We are typically born between 1978-2000, which other generations have dubbed us as Millennials. We are typically skeptical of everything and resist status quo without some valuable reason for doing it. We are also less likely to take a job based on it's pay or availability. We would rather do nothing than do something less meaningful and purposeful. Our attitude can be viewed as stubborn or arrogant or even self-righteous, but what is hard to understand usually gets labeled.
In the last blog I took an excerpt from Andy Andrews book Traveler's Gift; and I decided to stop pointing fingers, making excuses, or making assumptions based on the past. "The Buck Stops Here!"
This statement made our former president Harry Truman famous during a tumultuous season of our country. In the book, the author uses the moment just before Truman gives the okay to launch the atomic bomb on Japan. Truman was determined to stop disqualifying his decisions based on his credentials. A decision had to be made. Wrong or right, he had to own it.
What do you do if the pressure of a decision or the mounting pressure of life is becoming too much to bear?
In the Traveler's Gift our character, David Ponder, travels to ancient Israel and meets King Solomon. Solomon is renown for his great wisdom. When faced with a decision, Solomon tells Ponder to "Seek Wisdom":
  Decision #2
The Guided Decision
I Will Seek Wisdom.
Knowing that wisdom waits to be gathered, I will actively search her out. My past can never be
changed, but I can change the future by changing my actions today. I will change my actions
today! I will train my eyes and ears to read and listen to books and recordings that bring about
positive changes in my personal relationships and a greater understanding of my fellow man. No
longer will I bombard my mind with materials that feed my doubts and fears. I will read and listen
only to that which increases my belief in myself and my future.
I will seek wisdom. I will choose my friends with care. I am who my friends are. I speak their
language, and I wear their clothes. I share their opinions and their habits. From this moment
forward, I will choose to associate with people whose lives and lifestyles I admire. If I associate
with chickens, I will learn to scratch at the ground and squabble over crumbs. If I associate with
eagles, I will learn to soar great heights. I am an eagle. It is my destiny to fly.
I will seek wisdom. I will listen to the counsel of wise men. The words of a wise man are like raindrops
on dry ground. They are precious and quickly used for immediate results. Only the blade
of grass that catches a raindrop will prosper and grow. The person who ignores wise counsel is
like the blade of grass untouched by the rain—soon to wither and die. When I counsel with
myself, I can only make decisions according to what I already know. By counseling with a wise
man, I add his knowledge and experience to my own and dramatically increase my success.
I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. A wise man will cultivate a servant’s spirit, for
that particular attribute attracts people like no other. As I humbly serve others, their wisdom will
be freely shared with me. Often, the person who develops a servant’s spirit becomes wealthy
beyond measure. Many times, a servant has the ear of the king, and a humble servant becomes
king for he is the popular choice of the people. He who serves the most grows the fastest.
I will become a humble servant. I will not look for someone to open my door—I will look to open
the door for someone. I will not be distressed when no one is available to help me—I will be
excited when I am available to help.
I will be a servant to others. I will listen to the counsel of wise men. I will choose my friends with care.
I will seek wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment